Discussions

Right, so why use a candy flavor in incense? Why not get essential oil?

Firstly, not all EO is created equally. I have found many a peppermint EO that says clearly "not for internal use". This makes me paranoid, and rightfully so. When I fact check with a company, some will tell me that the processing of the oil is not food grade. If it's not food grade, the oil can contain compounds other than what the plant started with that can be harmful, and the manufacturer can't even tell you what compounds. There are some companies that make food grade oils, but you really need to do your homework to know who they are.

So if you're not really clear on what's in it, what do you do if your pet eats it? Your child? The neighborhood kid? Do you panic?

Another factor is strength. Depending on year, region, and method, there can be a fair bit of concentration variation in the "natural" EO. With a candy flavor, the company aims for consistency and will take steps to adjust concentration as needed. If it will taste the same from one batch to the next, it will also smell much the same.

Another factor is variety. Where do you get an essential oil that smells like berries? Ummm....you really have to look hard for that. On the other hand, the strawberry flavor may not technically be an oil, but it will impart a berry fragrance to a mixture.

Now lets do a quick cost comparison. Sweet almond EO typically sells for around $5-$10 per bottle. It's highly concentrated. For about $2 you can get a dram of almond flavor. It may not be quite as concentrated as the EO, but it is intensely fragrant. It may not be as big of a bottle, but how much do you really need?

These burn very much like they smell in the bottle, cost very little, and are available at most walmarts. The candy flavorings may not have every fragrance you may want to blend with, but are a good place to start for incense on a budget or just getting started. you'll need to check the ingredient list on each to know what's artificial and what's not if you mind that detail. Should you decide to just buy your incense, they can still be added to coffee, tea, icings....you get the ideal.

Happy blending.

Comments
  1. No comments yet. Be the first to post a comment.

Moon Phase Today

V-TempleUVUP
***Discord Chat***

Now First Wednesday of the month from

7:30 PM EST till 9PM EST.

UNLESS it is on the 3rd it will then be on Wednesday

JOIN US HERE

This website is powered by Spruz