Discussions

Original Post: Jan 23rd 2016  

by nox_lumen

Lets be clear. I am a witch, but not a vampire. So why join a social network group for vampires?

There are still many members of the pagan community as a whole that say I shouldn't. They certainly don't welcome the vampiric community with open arms and would tell me to avoid that sort at all costs.

But why the hostility?

Aren't vampires part of an alternative spiritual path? They work with energy much like witches, even if they approach it a bit differently.

Are these not the same groups that say that all spiritual paths are valid so long as they don't harm others? I see plenty from the vampiric community that ask members to do no harm and be respectful. Since I have started talking with community members I have gotten no sense that they mean to hurt me in any way.

So what's really going on? Why do vampires, both sang and psy get such a cold shoulder?

Well, back in the old times (when we still used cassette tapes and VHS), it was really hard work to be a witch. There were few books, and many weren't even available in a library. If you were lucky enough to find a new age book shop, it was tiny. Web pages were few and far between, often called for things you'd never heard of, and rarely mentioned sources.

That means if you could find someone to teach you, you grabbed hold of whatever you could learn with both hands and held on for dear life.

My teacher, like me, was a teenage girl. Like many teenagers, the world was against her and she was ready for a fight, but it was demons, restless ghosts, and ex-lovers ready to curse everything. She taught me that the spirit world was a dangerous and predatory place that we witches must defend ourselves against constantly, and psychic vampires were just one of the evils we had to deal with.

I thought she knew what she was talking about then.

Much later I got my hands on a proper book, and it was also very focused on defense magic. It wasn't quite as dramatic since it was intended to offer variations and methods, but the gist was still that the world was out to get us poor witches, so we better defend our selves properly. Many of the books I found over the years mentioned psychic drain, but not vampires out right, so the impression was still there.

There were moves to different cities, the world wide web got bigger, and more ordinary things took my attention. My love for history and mythology meant my research didn't stop completely, but the world didn't end if I didn't do enough protection spells. The sun still rises and sets much as it always has.

I stopped clinging to what I'd learned in books on wicca, and started asking many questions they never covered in a recent spiritual renaissance. It didn't make me many friends in the pagan forums. Between my understanding of history and my own intuition saying they got something sideways, I learned the hard way that pagans can be just as nasty to each other as different christian branches. I was outside of their shoe box labels and they were not shy about telling me they didn't like it.

I did make the occasional open minded friend. While talking to one an old SciFi show, Mad Mad House, came up. When I re-watched it, I found it was a televised version of the same arguments I'd had with forum users. These 'alts' were all outcasts, but they did not play nicely with each other. Of them, the vampire got the least respect, but said the most to make me really THINK about why the pagan community treats them like that.

And I decided it was ignorance. So many pagan how-to books talk about grounding excess energy from spells, rituals, and spirit work. Our own practice leaves us with more than we can use. Where we have a surplus, vampires have a shortage. But instead of talking about this as a natural balance, many pagans still treat it as predator and prey. Despite claims of nature worship, I'm one of the few ready to see this wisdom.

Let's be clear. I'm a witch, but not a vampire. I'm here because I know I'm among friends.

Comments
  1. No comments yet. Be the first to post a comment.

Moon Phase Today

V-TempleUVUP
***Discord Chat***

Now First Wednesday of the month from

7:30 PM EST till 9PM EST.

UNLESS it is on the 3rd it will then be on Wednesday

JOIN US HERE

This website is powered by Spruz